Saturday, August 25, 2018

Catching up. Live...

Earlier this month and in this post I expressed a desire to see a quintet of US-based female indie rock acts live across a pair of UK festivals - Green Man and End Of The Road. As I am at home in the weekend between those two festivals I thought that I ought to post a mid-term report.
The first good news is that I saw all three of these artists that were performing at Green Man in South Wales last weekend and conveniently, for the sake of comparable photography if nothing else, all on the same stage. It is also my favourite stage at the festival.
Here are those three artists in the order in which they played - one artist each day as it happens - and starting with the youngest but not an artist to underestimate.


Snail Mail is the work of 20-year-old Lindsey Jordan and she is originally from Ellicott City, MD. Début album 'Lush' was released by Matador Records on 8 June 2018.


Snail Mail - Walled Garden stage, Green Man Festival. 17 August 2018.

Phoebe Bridgers' album 'Stranger In The Alps' is something I have been listening to a great deal since its release by Dead Oceans Records in September of last year. For that reason alone I was delighted to see her added to the artists at Green Man this year. Then there were two duets.


Phoebe Bridgers - Walled Garden stage, Green Man Festival. 18 August 2018.

Last but certainly not least, from Richmond VA, was Lucy Dacus touring her 2018 album 'Historian' that is also released by Matador Records. It is true that she started the set bespectacled as, perhaps, befits a historian...
The pretence didn't last long.


Lucy Dacus - Walled Garden stage, Green Man Festival. 19 August 2018.

I was expecting a great deal from all three of these artists. To say that I was not disappointed would be a serious understatement.

No comments: