Thursday, September 20, 2018

New Music 2018 - Part 26 - Kendel Carson - The Lost Tapes of Suzanna Hamilton & The Calgary Sessions

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde in a horrid way: To miss one new release by an artist you like might count as misfortune. To miss two in six months is just careless. I am however totally guilty as charged.
So how did I come to find about them both at once on an otherwise unremarkable Thursday evening? 

I can thank Spotify for that. I decided to listen to an album (that wasn't 'Rearview Mirror Tears') by Canadian singer and fiddle player Kendel Carson but I had forgotten the title of it for some reason - it was 'Alright Dynamite' (2009) but that is by-the-by. I was presented with two LPs that I was completely unaware of, based on music for a possible film project that never made it to the screen, or at least not so far and that changed this evening's listening completely.
I have a word of warning here and I think it only fair to mention it now. If you don't like Kendel's previous albums then this might well not change your mind, but please try if you like. I just felt like I was diving right back into familiar territory and that is sometimes a very comforting place to be. 



It seems to be available as 2-on-1, of which this is the illustration, or as two releases.

I'm writing this pretty much on the fly whilst listening to it all again, it's on repeat, so expect some updates on this! Spotify, at least in the UK, regards these as two distinct releases, as detailed below. Either way all are released on Train Wreck Records:

Kendel Carson - The Lost Tapes of Suzanna Hamilton:
  • Paint Me a Cowboy
  • The Burning of Suzanna
  • Chicago Man
  • Crazy Moon
  • Lilly
  • Make Me a Microphone
  • Paint Me a Cowboy (Ballad)
  • Yankee Boy
  • Fighting Soldier
  • That's the Way It Is About True Love
Kendel Carson - The Calgary Sessions:
  • Waiting for Dreams
  • Find a Way
  • Anyway the Wind Blows
  • Woke up Missing You so Bad
  • Mexican Standoff
  • Hot Iron Waltz
  • Find a Way (Long Version)
I suspect that, as this was still completely unknown to me 2½ hours ago, I shall be back with some more comment, if not tonight then tomorrow. On the other hand if I wasn't liking the hell out of this there would be nothing here to read as of now! 

No comments: