Sunday, December 14, 2008

The single is dead? Ten pop singles of 2008.

I mentioned this here recently and, since Friday afternoon is often a good time to do such frivolous things and the opportunity presented itself, I mentioned it - albeit in slightly different terms - to my colleagues at work.

"What? pop... singles... in 2008?"
"Yes, that's right."

They were probably protesting their innocence but I added "if that's too much choice then that's fine, let's only consider ones by female artists or all-female bands!"

Pop, in all its disguises, has returned in 2008 and here - according to the above criteria - are ten singles (in alphabetical order) that I think matter in this respect.

  • Disturbia - Rihanna
  • I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry
  • Issues - The Saturdays
  • It Was You - Sharleen Spiteri
  • Keeps Gettin' Better - Christina Aguilera
  • Nothing Sweet About Me - Gabriella Cilmi
  • Piece Of Me - Britney Spears
  • Rain On Your Parade - Duffy
  • So What - P!nk
  • The Boy Does Nothing - Alesha Dixon
Pop is back for sure and, although it takes a lot from the past, it also offers something new. That is why, after over half a century, pop still matters.

No comments: