Sunday, March 01, 2009

American pop - music I want in 2009, Part 3

I can be strange this way.
I know that Taylor Swift was one of the US artists of 2008 but made no commercial in-roads in the UK. Her first UK single release, Love Song, is now being played on the radio here quite intensively.
I like it and I'm not afraid to admit that; except to rue the fact that the album Fearless is not yet widely available in the UK. I'm usually not one quite so impatient, it is to be released in the UK in a month or so, but for once I'm glad to be so!

Last week temperance wasn't my strong suit so I ordered the US version on a whim. Now I'm very glad that I did - today I heard that the UK album version is going to be "sanitized" by the removal of the banjos and fiddles.
I know I can cope with the original, which some in the UK call the 'country' version. To add to that, unless you have been living under a stone for the last few years, you might have noticed these instruments often in UK and US alt/nu/anti-folk and actually in far more surprising situations.

Love Song has just been confirmed #2 in the UK single chart for the week ending 28 February, beaten only to to the top spot by Kelly Clarkson with the single My Life Would Suck Without You and two American solo artists at the top of the UK charts does much to restore the balance again but don't think the UK is going roll over and lie down. This is just as it should be!

No comments: