Wednesday, November 18, 2009

And the problem is?

We were having a discussion at work today and, as such things do, it ran along fairly predictable lines. It was about new media and the effects they have, in particular social networking. I was, as always, out-gunned two to one (one older and one younger than I) so I don't think it is entirely an age related issue in the wider sense. I was sticking to my positive stance, as usual, when one of my colleagues suddenly asked "Can you even conceive of what it might be like to write a blog?"and you can probably guess the news story this week, concerning one of the most infamous blogs of all time, that started this particular line of discussion.

The two halves of my brain went in to overdrive and in conflicting ways, which is of course why the human brain works as well as it does. One side was telling me that I'd been rumbled for I thought that they did not know about that which you are currently reading; the other was saying that if they now do there's no denying it and so just keep on going. Both sides however were SCREAMING at me say something credible and to do it fast.
"Rather like reading one but more involving and committed." I ventured and I got away with it, at least for now, but should the question arise again I'll be very much better prepared:

  • I realize that I might have to defend what I write, or even what I write about, but that is not a new media phenomenon. I don't think I should have to defend my reasons for writing simply because it is on a digital platform.
  • Who would want to read what I write/publish? That, often levelled, question applies to anything but you don't know until you do it. Just ask the agents and publishers that turned down JK Rowling about that; to blog simply allows self-publishing and greater powers of self-delusion.
  • It is faintly egotistical (a valid point) but on the other hand it is equally liable to court opprobrium as it is to curry approbation.
  • I enjoy researching and writing it and the interaction it provides beyond the blog itself, or merely on-line.
  • I enjoy the challenge and the opportunities it has given me and quite frankly I don't care what the nu-Luddites think. If you don't like new media then just don't read it: I'm fine with that equilibrium situation.
The next thing to say is that I do read other blogs about music and in a light that is perhaps different simply because I write one myself. They are a source of inspiration, perspective and a pointer to new music too. Here are two rather different ones, both quite remarkable.

A comprehensive selection of new and recent music from Sweden:
http://meadowmusic.se/en/

If you find yourself in New York, or wish you could, this is what you need to know and more:
http://www.quirkynychick.com/

No comments: