Saturday, May 04, 2013

Or perhaps some East Coast singer-songwriters...

This is an idea that only really crystallized for me today. In truth it has roots that go back much further. Consider this a start - a declaration of my intent to do something. In a strange way the catalyst was reading the Latitude 2013 line-up. I had so many good times there in 2007-2011 but I really don't regret the fact that I'm not attending in 2013. There are of course many acts/artists that I'd like to see - some of which I already have seen and others that, at the festivals that I am attending this summer, I will have the chance to see in smaller surroundings. Aside from that, Latitude in east Suffolk is a long way from home - a round trip of almost 500 miles - and that costs in both time and fuel. I suspect that, sooner or later, the lure of Latitude will tempt me back.
All I need to do now is work out what it is that I want to write.
In some ways the hardest part is now done - for me the hardest part of any project is getting started and this entire blog is a fine example of that!

Samantha Twigg Johnson performing with 10-string cuatro at Folk Weekend Oxford 2013.
Studio stage, Old Fire Station. In this instance the artist, originally from Illinois but now based in Oxford, UK, and album 'Organ of Habit' (2007) were unknown to me up until this point.
This is not however the case with the following. The 2011 album 'Strangers Who Knew Each Other's Names', by New Yorker Annie Dressner, has been known to me for a while.
Further to that she has been on my list (albeit a rather lengthy one) of artists that I wish to see live. That particular issue has been neatly resolved as she too has moved this side of the pond and, even better still, is one of the artists at Frome's Acoustic+ on May 24. 

No comments: