Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mercy - it is legal too!

I think that Duffy has today become the first UK female solo artist, never involved in a reality TV show and not previously involved as a regular member in any chart band, to take a self-written single to #1 in the UK before the release of her first album!

I'm fairly sure that no female artist has ever done
that in the UK singles charts in the last 30 years.

That is on downloads alone and also before the release of her first album, Rockferry - released 3rd March, which is currently ranked #1 on sales on amazon.co.uk!

Please feel free to add a comment or if you suspect otherwise. You can add a comment directly from here; to e-mail me, should you wish to do so, go via My Profile that is at the top left of every page.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose pedants will say that she was involved in Wawffactor, but that was a long time ago and in another culture.

Richard G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Richard G said...

That is a good point! Just this once I'm not going to act the pedant and, even for most in the UK without digital TV, receiving Wawffactor was probably not even an option!
I don't think it diminishes from the achievement however and I, for one, can't wait for the album Rockferry and judging from its current status on amazon.co.uk I am far from the only one.

Richard G said...

That is a good point! Just this once I'm not going to act the pedant and for most in the UK, not least those without digital TV, receiving Wawffactor was probably not even an option!
I don't think it diminishes from the achievement however and I, for one, can't wait for the album Rockferry and judging from its current status on amazon.co.uk I am far from the only one.