Sunday, July 03, 2011

Festivals and stuff - Part 2

How good it would be if the weekends of Latitude and Truck Festival were as perfect as the one that we have just experienced here in sunny Somerset. When it comes to festival weather then the best one can really hope for is good planning (by all concerned) in advance and palliative measures once the show has started.
  
In my last post I mentioned that I had come across a clash-planner for Truck Festival 2011 (and also some others).  Bear in mind that it can only be as accurate as the data to which its maker has access, and you therefore keep checking back as the date nears, but as planning goes it is certainly a good place to start. It has also served to remind me of some of the acts that appearing and which made my decide to make Truck 2011 my third festival of the summer and my first time at this particular event, now in its 14th year.  I had initially considered Deer Shed 2011, a newcomer on just its second edition, but the travel issues - as it is in North Yorkshire and like Truck it is the weekend immediately after Latitude - won the day for me as much as the then published list of performers.
Looking at the Line-Up listing on the same site makes me think that this is going to be a bumper event when it comes to seeing artists that I have never really heard of before, as well as those that I have. Some on-line research will have to precede much of the more detailed planning.
In a similar vein to my post about Latitude 2011 and likewise in alphabetical order, these are some that I am aware of but have, so far, never seen live. This list is done without any reference to the clash-list: what I want to do becomes before that which is actually possible.

  • Alessi's Ark
  • Gunning For Tamar
  • Islet
  • Johnny Flynn
  • Jonquil
  • Justin Townes Earle
  • Peggy Sue
  • Pete Molinari
  • Rhosyn
  • Roddy Woomble
  • Sea Of Bees
  • Tunng
Much more to come, including more thoughts and links, very soon. Going to a festival is always exciting even when it is a familiar one. That Truck is new to me adds that extra frisson.  I was half convinced as I drove to Latitude, for the first time in 2007, that I'd just freak out and come straight back home!
  
It might be worthwhile mentioning that (as of this evening, July 3) the last Latitude 2011 Weekend Tickets are going fast and when they are gone they are gone...
As of this evening (July 5) tickets for Truck Festival 2011 are still available. See you there?

No comments: