Monday, September 09, 2013

EOTR 2013 - New Music 2013 - Part 27 - The Graphite Set

I was going to continue my thoughts on EOTR with some of the various artists that I really wanted to see live again and I very soon shall do that, but then I decided to do this instead. The Graphite Set falls neatly between acts that I have seen before and ones that I haven't and also becomes one of the few to feature in my 'New Music' series of posts twice in the same year.
How does that come to happen? These Streets EP featured when it was released late spring. It is true that I have seen The Graphite Set's Lily Buchanan live before, and also at End of The Road in 2011, but in her previous incarnation as Lily and The Hackabouts. I wrote about that too but not, for some reason now forgotten, until early last year.

I'm not going to make any bones about this, and we chatted at the weekend about it. That was good but The Graphite Set is in a different league. These Streets probably won them many new fans and this performance on the Big Top Stage should have won them many more, not just those who were there but subsequently by word-of-mouth too, whether that be face-to-face or by social media and, in the increasingly DIY new music industry, it is one of the most powerful tools that there is and although an old cliché:
Talk is cheap when the story is good.


The band are awesome and the new material too. The next single, Grayson Perry is out very soon.
I have it on very good authority that an album is to follow in the New Year and the word is that the new material might well be a little more poppy and with lyrics that tell real stories...

No comments: