Wednesday, December 03, 2014

My 2014 in Music - Albums - Part 2

I seem to have the bit between my teeth at the moment as regards remembering, researching and writing so it is my inclination to just go with it. This list of ten albums is in no way a second-tier one in comparision to the first. The emphasis is slightly different however. The first list, viewed simplistically, comprised six UK artists, three US ones and a Canadian one. This next regarded similarly consists of six US artists, three UK ones and again a single Canadian one. It is also less heavily biased towards acts that I have seen live, at least in 2014, and more heavily towards those that I wish to see live in 2015; quite how this might influence my festival choices in 2015 remains to be seen.

  • Angaleena Presley - American Middle Class
  • Barr Brothers - Sleeping Operator
  • ChloĆ« Warren - The Midnight Novel
  • Hannah Aldridge - Razor Wire
  • Hurray For The Riff Raff - Small Town Heroes (*READ THIS!)
  • Josienne Clarke and Ben Walker - Nothing Can Bring Back The Hour
  • Otis Gibbs - Souvenirs of a Misspent Youth
  • Red Molly - The Red Album
  • Samantha Crain - Kid Face
  • The Willows - Amidst Fiery Skies
In this list I have seen six of the above live at least once. Of the other four one of them is UK based but I've got it covered. That band is The Willows and playing Behind The Castle Festival on 13 June 2015.
This is the sole Canadian act in this list and the second time that I have seen Barr Brothers live. They are playing seven UK dates at the end of January 2015.
Tipi stage, End of The Road Festival, 30 August 2014.


When I took this picture, at one of the smallest stages, I knew almost next to nothing about the artist. I did however implicitly trust the curators of the stage because I was familiar with it and them. I wasn't to be disappointed.
Otis Gibbs - Saloon stage, Truck Festival 2014.

This next artist is one in the above list that at the start of the 2014 UK Festival season might have been regarded as a very long shot for inclusion here. This is how live music plays such a huge part for me;  I saw her twice in three weeks. I was it would seem far from the only one to come away with a very favourable impression. I wonder if I will be able to take a photo quite like this again...

Samantha Crain - Tipi stage, 30 August, End Of The Road Festival 2014.
Her recent touring, supporting First Aid Kit in the US and beyond has been very well received indeed and I hope has propelled her to a new level. Be that as it may, the album Kid Face is certainly worthy of all the praise that it has gathered.

This next one may be a curiosity: Amazon UK will tell you it is to be released in 2015 and also offer it for near immediate delivery. 
That might matter but it is so good and legally available that it shouldn't; I don't much care for this apparent nonsense of geographic distribution.
She, nickname 'Holler Annie', is the least known member of the Pistol Annies and the last to release a solo album. Does this matter?


On the basis of this recording the answer is a resounding NO and that is exactly why it is here. 

No comments: