Saturday, December 29, 2012

New Music 2013 - Part 6 - Forbidden Fruit

Not so long ago I wrote a post about the resurgence of the live album. One that I mentioned then was by a Finnish blues artist, Erja Lyytinen, and I mentioned that she was touring in Spring 2013 and that, hopefully, this also presaged a new studio album. Here it is.


This is the track list:
  1. Joyful Misery
  2. Hold On Together
  3. At Least We Still Fight
  4. Forbidden Fruit
  5. Death Letter
  6. Change Of Season
  7. Jealousy
  8. Press My Button
  9. Things About Coming My Way
The penultimate track might seem to have a title that suggests 'girl power'. It is indeed a cover version, and one with lyrics that might have made the promoters of 1990's 'girl power' think twice before releasing it.
Press My Button (Ring My Bell) was written by Lil Johnson and recorded, with herself doing duty on vocals, early in 1936. Chicago was quite the place back then. It probably still is.
The album is released by Ruf Records on January 28, 2013.

No comments: