Thursday, March 24, 2016

New Music 2016 - Part 20 - Grant-Lee Phillips - The Narrows

After a straight run of UK artists in posts here I guess I ought to return to my other musical influences. This release captured my attention this week and it was an obvious choice after only a few listens.


The Narrows - Grant-Lee Phillips (Yep Roc Records, 18 March 2016).

Careworn and resigned maybe, but not bitter and never malicious, is how this comes across as I listen to it.  Another important thing is that he is certainly no newcomer and I'll leave it to you to explore that aspect should you wish to do so.

This is the track-list :
  • Tennessee Rain
  • Smoke And Sparks
  • Moccasin Creek
  • Cry Cry
  • Holy Irons
  • Yellow Weeds
  • Loaded Gun
  • Rolling Pin
  • Taking On Weight In Hot Springs
  • Just Another River Town
  • No Mercy In July
An early stand-out is Smoke And Sparks. Yellow Weeds too, but to be honest there is nothing notably weak here in my opinion. I could listen to this whilst holed-up in the depths of winter or, equally, outdoors whilst watching the fire burn down with friends late on a warm summer night.
Here is 'Smoke and Sparks' live:


No comments: