Wednesday, May 26, 2010

'Between Day and Dream' or 'The Drifter and the Gypsy'

To whosoever asked if I think that two of the problems in the music industry are the lack of new artists and the hegemony of the four major labels. I am delighted to say no; rather the opposite in fact and this is why.
I was then challenged to name five acts or artists that fall in to this category and in the specified musical theme, which was female vocals and a principally acoustic milieu.  I decided to narrow it down to just five nascent New York based female artists or female-fronted acts - vaguely following the theme of yesterday's post and that actually turned out to be much more difficult than I thought it might be but not for the reason that I had anticipated.

Lack of choice was not the problem; to do so from a short list of (just) twenty was a challenge and isn't the real issue rather the opposite of the question that was asked? Plenty of talented artists who are either not signed at all or, if they are, to progressive independent labels. In my opinion independent labels are the future so that aspect is not a problem at all.

These are the five that I chose in no particular order. It was a tough call, often hearing only a song or at most two from each contender, and I intend to pursue this theme in more detail soon. I'm not aware that any of them are currently particularly well known in the UK.

Rachel Platten
www.myspace.com/rachelplattenband/


Sarah Solovay
www.myspace.com/sarahsolovay/

Rachel A. Brown
www.myspace.com/rachelbrownmusic/

Rosi Golan "The Drifter and The Gypsy"
www.myspace.com/rosigolan/

ChloƩ Temtchine "Between Day and Dream"
http://www.myspace.com/chloetemtchine/


Now imagine had I tried to do the same for the of the other thirty-something regional categories, in just this one exposition, what other treasures might I have found?  That is my inspiration.

No comments: