Sunday, June 21, 2015

New Music 2015 - Part 49 - Will Hoge - Small Town Dreams

It is no secret that I like a great deal of folk, roots and alt/indie-country music that is being produced on both sides of the Atlantic these days. In that vein I shall continue with this, the latest LP from Will Hoge, a native of Franklin, Tennessee and maybe the small town of his musings, at least in part. It was released by independent label Cumberland Recordings (Nashville, TN) - about which I can find little information but would like to if not least to hear more of their artists - on 15 June 2015 (in the UK).

Since then I have listened to it, from start to finish, a number of times and I like it. I like it a lot, to be honest. I am planning to listen to as much folk, roots and Americana as I can over the summer festival season. If Will Hoge turns out to be playing then I'll be there if I possibly can. This comprises eleven songs, none are covers, and I can't say that I have a particular favourite yet and that is no bad thing. I can safely say however that there are none that I would skip. This is the track-list:
  1. Growing Up Around Here
  2. They Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To
  3. Better Than You
  4. Little Bitty Dreams
  5. Guitar Or A Gun
  6. Middle Of America
  7. All I Want Is Us Tonight
  8. Just Up The Road
  9. Desperate Times
  10. The Last Thing I Needed
  11. Till I Do It Again
This time next week 'The Glastonbury Festival of Contemporary Performing Arts 2015' will be heading towards the closing night. As mentioned before I shan't be there but, while looking forward to the coverage and hearing all the tales, it does mark a certain kind of start to the summer. The weather forecast for the next week in these parts looks fairly benign too.
It is also, a tradition on my part, the time that I start to think about my end-of-year lists. My reason for this is that, with half of the year done, it should be possible to determine at least some trends...
Why bother? Well, having thought about it I then have the summer, and the festivals, to see if my ideas hold up and also still the
 time to explore new ones.

No comments: